BUSINESSMAN KIDNAPED IN LAGOS, CAR, MONEY STOLEN
By Olayiwola Ibrahim/LAGOS// A CCTV video footage has emerged showing how unidentified men clad in police insignia ambushed and kidnapped businessman John Paul in Lagos State on January 24.
According to the video, Benin-based Paul can be seen driving his 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 SUV into the Lekki Luxury Flats Apartment building in Lekki, where he was staying at the time, when a vehicle parks behind him, and men wielding guns get out of it.
John and his friends were immediately pulled out of his vehicle and usher him into theirs, while they drive his vehicle away with them. That was the last time he saw the car and phone.
Speaking with FIJ on Monday, Paul told FIJ that he was under the impression that he was under arrest, but he didnโt know what for.
He said he arrived in Lagos to buy goods for his shop in Benin and was staying in Lekki when the incident happened.
Reports show that the men took all of us in their vehicle and drove to Ajah, he told FIJ.
He said was thinking they were driving us to a police station, but they drove us from 12 am that day and just kept driving until we parked and kept us until morning.
In the morning, they drove us to Ladipo on the mainland, took my iPhone 17 and made me transfer N5 million worth of Bitcoin to their wallet.
Transfer to the Bitcoin wallet at 7:56 am
At about 9 am, the men let Paul and his friends go but disappeared with the car, phone and money.
It did not stop there. The men who kidnapped him got his phone number and began calling to say that he should pay N2 million to reclaim his car.
Paul then posted the CCTV video on Facebook. When the kidnappers saw the video, they sent him WhatsApp messages threatening to attack him again.
Paul, however, reported the matter to the Lagos State Anti-Kidnapping Unit.
There, he met Sunday Ebohdakhe Julius, known popularly as J Boy.
Julius demanded N500,000 to investigate the matter, and on January 27, Paul paid this money to the policeman.
On Monday, Julius admitted to collecting the money from the complainant but claimed his investigation hit a snag because the police network was down.
When FIJ asked if it was standard police procedure to collect money from complainants, he evaded the question.
FIJ also called the phone number that had been texting Paul, but the number was unreachable on Monday.
